Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder in which people behave abnormally. During this problem people find it very difficult to differentiate between what is real and unreal. In other words, they may see or hear things that do not exist, speak in an abnormal way and believe that someone is watching them. This conditional can occur at any time, but, usually it appears in late adolescence or in early childhood and is said to be more severe in men than women.
Signs of Schizophrenia
Mentioned below are some of the most common signs of Schizophrenia that should not be overlooked:
- Social withdrawal: A schizophrenia patient withdraws socially because he or she believes that somebody will harm him or her. Secondly, it can also be because of poor social skills
- Hallucinations: It usually involves seeing or hearing things that don’t really exist in real life. The most common hallucination is hearing of voices.
- Disorganized or abnormal behaviour: This includes resistance to instructions, inappropriate or strange posture, useless or excessive movement or a lack of response.
Different types of Schizophrenia
- Residual schizophrenia: Under this type the person has no interest or motivation in life
- Schizoaffective disorder: A patient may have the symptoms of depression also along with Schizophrenia
- Catatonic Schizophrenia: Under this type, the patient is usually mute and often feel negative things
- Disorganized Schizophrenia: A patient usually have delusions and is often incoherent in speech and thought
- Paranoid Schizophrenia: A person suffering from this condition feels suspicious, mistreated or a combination of both these emotions.
Treatment with psychosocial and effective medicines can help the patient to overcome this condition. However, in more severe cases, hospitalization is recommended in order to ensure safety, adequate sleep, proper nutrition and also basic hygiene.
Medicine is also recommended to Schizophrenia patients if there is no improvement in the patient with therapy. Talking about the medicines, Abilify and Geodon are some of the effective and the widely recommended drugs for treating this condition.